Director, User Experience
The Director User Experience will lead our UX Design, Design Research, and UI teams and will be responsible for developing and bringing to life the visual design of Omnitracs’ product suite and overall end user experience. This leader will set and evangelize a vision for how great design can create a competitive advantage and lead a team of User Experience (UX) Designers to design best-in-class solutions across our entire product portfolio. This function collaborates with the organizations for strategy, product management, engineering, and product marketing to build solutions and product workflows that makes our fleet management solutions and the driver experience awesome. The Director of User Experience will be the top design leader within Omnitracs and have high visibility and influence throughout the organization. In addition to being a leader within the Omnitracs organization, the Director of User Experience maintains close relationships with Product Managers, Sales, and other Business leaders to understand business challenges, perform needed research and usability, and influence the end product. The successful candidate will work with Omnitracs senior leadership to set departmental goals that are aligned with the fiscal year priorities.
Responsible and accountable for driving a Design Thinking mentality across the entire organization and ensuring that our overall product experience is best-of-class:
- Define and lead the overall design strategy for all Omnitracs products
- Position the overall User Experiences (Driver, Backoffice Facing User Experience, and Data & Analytics) that are compelling and engaging. Use customer data as the primary method of understanding how Omnitracs customers are leveraging our solutions to improve overall fleet efficiency and enable a seamless driver experience. Design must carefully balance high efficiency with seamless elegance.
- Manage diverse creative team (across product portfolio) - develop a team of creative personnel capable of all facets of design: Visual Design, User Experience, Interactive, Information Architecture, Mobile / touch screen UI and Usability Testing.
- User Experience Evangelist - the lead presenter of the team’s offering to external audiences, including fleet customers and channel partners.
- Build a world class team of UX professionals - coach and mentor existing staff to new levels and recruit great talent
- Partner with Product Management and Development to envision and build innovative products & brand experiences that make the driving experience better and the backoffice management of these solutions easier.
- Be the voice of our users (drivers and back office personnel) by providing empathy and inspiration to the teams building out the product experience
- Track record of leading human center design for a global company – building UX standards and successfully evangelized these throughout a global organization.
- Lead by example, and drive the principals of design thinking:
- Human centered simplicity and beauty – establish “design kit” focused on simple elegance and drive throughout the organization
- Mindful of process - Great product, less time – designed for efficiency
- Culture of prototyping – usability testing (focused on customer centric design)
- Bias towards action
- Radical collaboration
Skills & Requirements
- Strong User Experience background in mobile applications and Web Applications.
- Familiarity of varying design applications such as Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, PowerPoint, and in some cases 3-D rendering applications.
- Experience managing Designers inside an Agile team and processes
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate creative teams
- Strong foundation of project management skills
- Excellent communications and presentation skills
- Must possess a thorough understanding of interactive communications and delivery systems, processes, and user interface design as well as industry best practices
- Knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography & limitations of the web; must possess the ability to storyboard or translate ideas to designers.
- A strong working knowledge of experience design, brand development, interactive commerce and creative process
- Proven Mobile and Touch design experience
- Ability to lead projects from concept to completion. Apply best practices in user interface and interactive design, including image optimization and site mapping
- Experience with software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign & Flash, Experience Adobe AfterEffects & video editing (a plus)
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments
- At least 5 years management experience working with web applications and mobile applications
- Experience in the Transportation (Fleet Management) vertical a plus
- Passion, Integrity, and Energy!
- Requires travel of up to 25%
Undergraduate degree in Interactive Design or related field or equivalent visual design and management experience required; graduate degree preferred
Disclaimer: This Job Description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent(s). It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent(s) may be asked to perform other duties in addition to those described above.
Omnitracs LLC, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local municipal law.