Network Operations Specialist
Responsible and accountable for maintaining day-to-day operations for 7 X 24 X 365 network operations facility to provide uninterrupted network services for customers and internal support (Omnitracs’ offices in North America).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Performing daily checks of data center and RF/IF components, monitoring of customer connections and acting appropriately upon any disconnections, monitoring the message flow on all systems and escalating appropriately if there are any delays, responding to panic alerts from customer units, monitoring disk space allocation on the VMS cluster, monitoring the data flow over the IF/RF channels, and monitoring the data transmissions between the active and backup site.
- Responsible for initiating and coordination of conference bridges used for troubleshooting system issues. Ensures that all appropriate parties are notified and included in the call. Able to provide needed information regarding the issue to members of the call.
- Providing follow-up on customer problems/questions until issue is resolved to the customer's satisfaction. Appropriately escalates calls to other departments when necessary.
- Functions well in a multi-faceted and fast-paced environment. Conducts communication with customers, service providers and other Omnitracs employees in a professional manner. Interfaces professionally with personnel of all levels. Effectively deals with a variety of problems and can switch gears from software to hardware, to IF/RF, to Network, to maintain system uptime. Stays current on enhancements to existing products, new developments, and/or related technical information
- Appropriately and accurately documents calls and issues in the CRM system. Includes all necessary, pertinent and mandatory information, as called out by CRM tool and/or written procedures.
- Responsible for interacting with security features (Omnitracs Mexico security solutions) according to customers/internal requests using specific commands (sms messaging).
- Creation of Standard Operating Procedures to support daily operation.
- Document and open tickets with Tier 2 support to support internal and external customers.
- Work with providers to solve issues to guarantee the continuity of the network operations (terrestrial service and facilities).
- Support USA and Colombian customers (Satellite legacy service).
- Report panic buttons alerts to customers (Satellite legacy service).
- Support the configuration of the IVG solution for MX customers (terrestrial, terrestrial with camera and satellite).
- Route MX customers’ “Rescue” requests to Field Service team (terrestrial solutions in Mexico).
Skills & Requirements
- Basic knowledge of command line operating system (e.g. OpenVMS, Unix, Linux).
- Basic knowledge of networking and networking concepts.
- Strong Windows skills required.
- Experience with Salesforce, ServiceNow or another CRM tool.
- Able to easily use mid-level functions of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, MS Teams).
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (Spanish and English).
- Able to work independently and execute projects with minimal direction; escalating issues as appropriate
- Organized, able to multi-task, and work under pressure
- Experience working in technology-related field, providing direct customer support
- Great customer service skills
- Able to learn quickly and adapt to new technologies and processes
- Experience with monitoring tools such as OpsGenie, VictorOps, Grafana, Sitescope, Solarwinds, Splunk , Zabbix and DataDog.
- Must be dependable & willing to work any shift in a 24x7x365 work environment, weekend and Holiday hours required.
- Must be dependable & willing to work extra shifts under special circumstances to guarantee the continuity of the network operations.
- Data analysis.
- Capability to adopt new responsibilities (tasks, activities, etc.). according the needs of the network operation area.
- Certification in one or more of the following: Cisco, CompTIA, RHEL, AWS
- Basic web design and MSSQL database administration
- Knowledge of one or more scripting languages (VB script, DCL, Perl, PHP, Python)
- Experience with an alert aggregation/management tool like OpsGenie or PagerDuty
- 2-3 years work experience (mid level), 5-7 years work experience (senior level) in a mission critical network operations/SAAS environment.
- Engineering Bachelor's degree.